This year on July 3, the official Independence Day holiday for many people, you can help make independence more of a reality for 30 individuals or small families living with HIV/AIDS in Washington, DC. Could you spend part of your day at Daffodil House as a volunteer cleaning out or painting vacant apartments to get them ready for new residents? Half of our new residents will be homeless, so they’re eager to make a fresh start by living more independently in their new homes.
Two shifts of up to 25 volunteers each will work on July 3:
- Morning from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Afternoon from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Or if you’re feeling energetic, spend the day with us! There’s plenty to do, including:
- Painting the walls and ceilings of vacant and already cleaned out efficiency apartments
- Painting handrails in stairwells
- Painting ceilings in stairwells
- Removing carpets, pads, tack strips, bathroom ceramic tile floors
- Removing kitchen cabinets from walls for possible reuse or disposal
- Removing bathroom sinks/vanities and toilets for possible reuse
- Removing plywood subfloors from kitchens
- Removing closet shelves and rods from closets (so we can install closet organizers)
- Removing tub/shower enclosures and disposing of them
- Removing all debris from units and thoroughly cleaning up so our staff can install new floors, fix kitchens and bathrooms, install closet organizers, and make other repairs
You can probably tell from the list that there’s everything from heavy lifting to lighter work. If you’d like to join us, wear old clothes that protect you while you’re working. We have gloves and most tools, although more basic tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, and prybars are always welcome.
Please RSVP for the event by emailing Steve Seuser or calling him at (202) 639-0361, x302. Please include your name, email address/phone number, and whether you’d like to volunteer in the morning, afternoon, or the entire day. Families and groups are welcome.
Daffodil House is located close to the Columbia Heights metro on the green line. Complete directions will be provided to volunteers who RSVP.